Belonging is basic to self-esteem. Individuals with disabilities should not have to meet any requirement to belong to their community. They belong because we all belong. We are all different but we celebrate our differences and learn from one another.
What is an Inclusive Community?
An inclusive community is one that:
- welcomes and respects all regardless of background, ethnicity, and or ability.
- makes public spaces and programs accessible to all.
- promotes educational opportunities for all.
- gives everyone access to meaningful work and a home of their own.
- encourages everyone to have fulfilling relationships.
- encourages everyone to make their own choices for their lives.
- promotes access to health care and behavior support when needed.
- encourages everyone to participate actively in their citizenship.
- encourages everyone to give back to the community.