Other Government Programs

  • Home
  • Other Government Programs

Apart from Medicaid there are several other government programs that your child or your family might be able to apply for. These programs provide financial assistance, health insurance, and early intervention services. Each of these programs have their own eligibility requirements

Social Security Benefits

There are two main programs that social security provides benefits based on disability. First, Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and second, Social Security Disability Insurance benefits (SSDI).

Benefits for Children

Find your local social security office


Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

In order to qualify for SSI, your child’s disability and your family’s income and resources will be taken into consideration. If your child qualifies for SSI, you will receive a monthly payment from the Social Security office.

Read More….


Children and Social Security Income Guide

Other Public Health Programs

Developmental Disabilities DivisionDevelopmental Disabilities provides support and training to individuals and families in order to maximize community and family inclusion, independence, and self-sufficiency; to prevent institutionalization; and to enable institutionalized individuals to return to the community. To achieve this goal, Developmental Disabilities contracts with 36 private, nonprofit and for-profit organizations to provide an array of residential services, day services, and family support services.


Children’s Special Health Services

Children’s Health Insurance Program

Covering Kids Program– For confidential information, applications, and assistance about existing low-cost or free healthcare coverage programs in North Dakota, contact the Covering Kids and Families toll-free Help-Line at: 1-877-KIDS NOW (1-877-543-7669)

Comprehensive Health Association of North Dakota (CHAND) provides comprehensive health insurance to residents of North Dakota who have been denied health insurance or are considered high risk. (800.737.0016) http://www.chand.org/


Dental Coverage

Safety Net Dental Clinics are programs that usually see patients who do not have other access to dental care. The patients typically are covered by Medicaid or the clinic offers sliding fee schedules or reduced fees.

  • Bridging the Dental Gap is a nonprofit community dental clinic serving low-income and uninsured individuals in the Bismarck-Mandan area. (701.221.0158)
  • Family Healthcare Center Dental Clinic is a federally qualified community health center serving low-income and uninsured individuals within the Fargo Red River Valley Region. (701.271.3332)
  • Red River Valley Dental Access Project serves low-income, uninsured and Medicaid eligible individuals who have urgent dental pain and do not have access to a dentist in Fargo-Moorhead. (701.364.5364)
  • Valley Community Health Center Dental Clinic is a federally qualified health center serving low-income, uninsured and insured individuals of all ages in the Northern Red River Valley. (701.757.2100)
  • North Dakota Donated Dental Services is a network of volunteer dentists who provide dental care to the state’s most vulnerable people: disabled, elderly or medically compromised individuals who cannot afford necessary treatment nor get public aid. (866.572.9390)

Vision Coverage

Vision USA provides basic eye health and vision care services free of charge to uninsured, low-income people and their families. (701.258.6766)

VSP Sight for Students is a charity that provides free vision exams and glasses to low income, uninsured children. (888.290.4964)

Health-Care Programs

Shriners Hospitals for Children provide no-cost medical care to children with orthopedic problems, spinal cord injuries or burns. (800.237.5055)

Community Health Centers (CHC) serve all patients regardless of their ability to pay for services. CHCs are located in Beulah, Center, Fargo, Halliday, Larimore, McClusky, Northwood, Rolette, Towner and Turtle Lake. Contact 701.221.9824 for specific site contact information.

North Dakota Association for the Disabled (NDAD) may provide fund raising or some financial assistance for individuals with disabilities. (800-532-6323)

United Health Care Children’s Foundation embraces and supports the concept of facilitating access to health-related services that have the potential to significantly enhance either the clinical condition or the quality of life of the child and that are not fully covered by the available commercial health benefit plan. The Foundation provides financial assistance toward the family’s share of the cost of medical services. (www.uhccf.org)

Indian Health Service (IHS) provides health services to American Indians and Alaskan Natives who belong to federally recognized tribes. The IHS administers health services through IHS facilities, through tribally-operated facilities and by contracting for health services. (www.ihs.gov)

Service Organizations such as the Elks, Kiwanas, Sertoma, Lions and Quota may offer assistance with the medical-related expenses. (Check the local phone book for contact numbers.)